Belgaum, ancient 'Venugrama' ('Bamboo village') is the district and divisional headquarters. It was the capital of the Rattas who shifted to this place from Saundatti during the close of 12th century. The place has a fort inside which there is the famous Kamalabasti built by one Ratta Officer called Bichiraja in 1204. It has a fine huge protruding lotus (Kamala) in its ceiling and this beautiful structure in Chalukyan style housesNeminatha Teerthankara image.
The place came under the Sevunas (Yadavas) and Vijayanagara and later conquered by Mahamood Gawan in 1474 on behalf of the Bahmanis. The fort was strengthened by the Adilshahis and there is an excellent structure, Safa Mosque with three entrances with floral and calligraphis designs. Two of its pillars have Kannada inscriptions in Nagari scripts, one of 1199 of Ratta King Kartaveerya IV and another of 1261 if of Sevuna (Yadava) Krishna. The Persian Inscription here states that the mosque was built by Asad Khan, Bijapur Commander.
he Jamia Masjid in the fort was built by Sher Khan in 1585-86. There is a dargah of Khanjar Wali near it. Belgaum later came under the Mughuls (who called it Azamnagar) and the Maratha till its conquest by the British in 1818. The British founded their Cantonment here and they made it the head-quaters of Maratha Light Infantry. The Maruthi temples here is quite vast and has some antiquities of Chalukyan times. The fort has Chalukyan Pillars spread all over.
The Kapileshwar temple in Shahpur area was of Chalukyan times, now
totally renovated. Shapur a suburb of Belgaum was in Sangli State;
Wadgaon, another suburb was a separate state called Junior Kurundwad.
Near Wadgaon, a Shatavahana settlement with the head of stucco
Buddha figure have been excavated.
a City Corporation. It is a place with pleasant weather. It played a
leading part in the freedom movement. The Jawaharlal Nehru Medical
College here has a highly educative pathology museum